Newspaper and magazine articles
All of these lovely publications paid me to write something for them.
- Hanretty, Chris. (January 2017). “Stoke-on-Trent Would Be Ukip’s Battleground of Choice.” The Observer. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/14/ukip-prospect-stoke-on-trent-voted-leave. I previewed the Stoke-on-Trent Central by-election, and examined the prospects for the UK Independence Party.
- Hanretty, Chris. (November 2016). “A Long, Uncertain Break from the EU Makes Independence More Likely.” The National. http://www.thenational.scot/comment/14872894.Chris_Hanretty__A_long__uncertain_break_from_the_EU_makes_independence_more_likely/. I argued that the UK’s exit from the EU may cause Scots to look at independence as a less risky option.
- Hanretty, Chris. (June 2016). “How the EU Referendum Result Will Emerge in the Hours After Polls Close.” The Observer. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/19/eu-referendum-result-polls-britain-europe. I gave an hour-by-hour breakdown of likely local results in the UK’s referendum on membership of the European Union.
- Hanretty, Chris. (December 2015). “Un Tuit..., ¿Un Voto?” El País. http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2015/12/17/actualidad/1450374900_277300.html. I argued against looking to “Big Data” as a way of forecasting elections.
- Hanretty, Chris. (September 2015). “Cut the Commons to 400 MPs.” Prospect. www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/cut-the-commons-to-400-mps. I argued, on the basis of work done by Rein Taagepera, that the Commons is oversized and should be cut.
- Hanretty, Chris. (May 2015). “UKIP Set to Lose Out to Conservatives in Tight Constituencies.” The Racing Post. I tipped the Conservatives to win in seats targeted by the UK Independence Party in the 2015 general election.
- Hanretty, Chris. (August 2013). “Letta Has Survived, but Now Must Start to Govern.” The Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/de822874-ffa0-11e2-b990-00144feab7de. I reviewed the achievements of the first 100 days of Enrico Letta’s caretaker Italian government.