Newspaper and magazine articles
All of these lovely publications paid me to write something for them.
- Hanretty, Chris (July 2017). “How Corbyn Turned the Tide for Social Democracy.” Prospect. https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/how-corbyn-turned-the-tide-for-social-democracy. I showed how the performance of Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party was an exceptional result given how poorly other West European social democrats have been doing.
- Hanretty, Chris (May 2017). “Who Benefits When Ukip Doesn’t Stand?” Prospect. https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/who-benefits-when-ukip-doesnt-stand. I argued that the Conservatives would be the main beneficiaries of UKIP’s decision not to stand in some seats.
- Hanretty, Chris (May 2017). “Red Versus Blue in Black and White.” The Times (Red Box). https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/red-versus-blue-in-black-and-white-l6c8x9pxm. I described some political science research which suggests people don’t pay much attention to manifestos.
- Hanretty, Chris (May 2017). “Should You Believe the Polls?” Prospect. https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/should-you-believe-polls-june-8th-general-election. I make a qualifed defence of the polling for the 2017 general election.
- Hanretty, Chris (April 2017). “The Constituencies to Watch - and Why They Matter.” The Times (Red Box). https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/the-constituencies-to-watch-and-why-they-matter-57d2n62cq. I looked at the three-way patterns of competition in the 2017 general election.
- Hanretty, Chris (January 2017). “Stoke-on-Trent Would Be Ukip’s Battleground of Choice.” The Observer. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/14/ukip-prospect-stoke-on-trent-voted-leave. I previewed the Stoke-on-Trent Central by-election, and examined the prospects for the UK Independence Party.
- Hanretty, Chris (November 2016). “A Long, Uncertain Break from the Eu Makes Independence More Likely.” The National. http://www.thenational.scot/comment/14872894.Chris_Hanretty__A_long__uncertain_break_from_the_EU_makes_independence_more_likely/. I argued that the UK’s exit from the EU may cause Scots to look at independence as a less risky option.
- Hanretty, Chris (June 2016). “How the Eu Referendum Result Will Emerge in the Hours After Polls Close.” The Observer. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/19/eu-referendum-result-polls-britain-europe. I gave an hour-by-hour breakdown of likely local results in the UK’s referendum on membership of the European Union.
- Hanretty, Chris (December 2015). “Un Tuit..., ¿Un Voto?” El País. http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2015/12/17/actualidad/1450374900_277300.html. I argued against looking to "Big Data" as a way of forecasting elections.
- Hanretty, Chris (September 2015). “Cut the Commons to 400 Mps.” Prospect. www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/cut-the-commons-to-400-mps. I argued, on the basis of work done by Rein Taagepera, that the Commons is oversized and should be cut.
- Hanretty, Chris (May 2015). “UKIP Set to Lose Out to Conservatives in Tight Constituencies.” The Racing Post. I tipped the Conservatives to win in seats targeted by the UK Independence Party in the 2015 general election.
- Hanretty, Chris (August 2013). “Letta Has Survived, but Now Must Start to Govern.” The Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/de822874-ffa0-11e2-b990-00144feab7de. I reviewed the achievements of the first 100 days of Enrico Letta’s caretaker Italian government.